So it’s official… I will be heading to Southeast Asia in January 2015 and be backpacking until April 2015. I have been dreaming of doing this exact trip for a few years now and I am finally going for it. I know you’re probably thinking why the hell is she blogging about it now or planning it so far in advance BUT… this means I have exactly 8 months to save about $10,000. I haven’t blogged in a while… because I haven’t been anywhere in what seems like forever. My boyfriend Nick asked me if I have been blogging lately and I said no… then he proceeded to say “you should be blogging about all of the planning we have been doing for Asia, it’s all part of the trip” (maybe those weren’t his exact words but that is pretty much it). So, I decided to take his advice… this post (and future posts) are meant to keep me on track with saving, keep me organized, and keep me inspired.
Saving Money (the hardest part)…
- Nick and I both have a goal of saving $10,000 by January 2nd (our goal departure date)… so we decided to make it a competition. The loser has to pay for one night at a super nice hotel somewhere in Southeast Asia when we are sick and tired of spending time in hostels. The best part is that one night in a nice hotel somewhere in Southeast Asia is still pretty cheap compared to what we would spend at home.
- I bought a whiteboard and some colourful dry-erase markers for record my savings as well as keep track of what I owe on my student loan.
- I have an old water cooler jug in my bedroom where I am saving all of my loose change… my goal is to use my change to pay for my flight (well maybe half of my flight…).
- I have banned myself from shopping… I am not allowed to buy any new clothing or accessories or anything for the entire summer.
- Packing lunches… instead of going to work and buying lunch or dinner there, I am bringing my own food and probably saving my waistline too.
Budgeting for Extra Expenses
- Travel insurance
- Travel accessories (I just bought the most beautiful backpack… $300 later)
- Car payments/insurance while I am away for four months
- Travel shots/malaria pills (if needed)
- Emergency money
Countries to Visit
- Indonesia (Bali)
- The Philippines
Things To Do…
- Get scuba certified
- Volunteer in Thailand
- Spend one week at Rayavadee in Thailand
- Go to a Full Moon Party in Thailand
- Spend a few days at Freedomland in Phu Quoc, Vietnam
- ANDDDDD SO MUCH MORE… but we are still researching everything.
… that’s all i’ve got so far but thankfully I have 8 months to figure out a lot more.